The overall objective of this project is to increase the production of high quality beef in the country by saving 380,000 male calves in the country during the next four years. These calves will be saved up to the age of 3 months and attain an average body weight of 65-70 kg per calf.
The specific objectives of this project include:
- To provide a foundation of healthy young calves in the country for subsequent back-grounding and feedlot fattening.
- To save the young calf from early slaughtering to enhance meat production and profitability of the livestock farmers
- The motivation of farmers (incentive) to reduce the mortality in young calves due to diseases and malnutrition
- Capacity building of farmers and field staff for successful calf rearing.
Quantitative project objectives are to achieve:
- Mobilization through capacity building of more than 50,000 small and medium sized livestock farmers to save the young calves.
- To provide a foundation of 380,000 healthy young calves (3-4 months old) in the country for subsequent feedlot fattening.
- Training of 50,000 livestock farmers for successful calf rearing along with the encouragement of good animal husbandry practices.