AGRICULTURE POLICY INSTITUTE (API)
Director General: Abdul Karim
Headquarter: Agriculture Policy Institute, 3rd Floor, Evacuee Trust Complex, Islamabad
Agriculture Prices Commission was established in 1981 and re-constituted as Agriculture Policy Institute (API) in 2006 as Attached Department.
FUNCTIONS OF AGRICULTURE POLICY INSTITUTE
- The focus will be on broader agriculture policies. The focus will be general and adjustable keeping in view growing needs.
- Conduct studies on emerging policy issues. Periodically examine, processing, storage, and marketing costs of agricultural commodities and recommend policies and programs to reduce such costs and improve the competitiveness of commodities. Broader coverage and holistic approach.
- Analyze the impact of important agricultural policies on groups such as consumers, processors and exporters and advise on policy adjustments needed for greater efficiency and equity.
- Prepare Annual Policy Analysis Reports on Cotton, Sugarcane, Rice and Wheat for 2008-09 to 2012-13 crops;
- Conduct annual input-output field surveys in main producing areas of Cotton, Sugarcane, Rice, Wheat and Tobacco Crops;
- As a Consultative Mechanism, annual meetings of Standing Committee of all stakeholders before the formulation of price policy for Wheat, Cotton, Rice and Sugarcane Crops were conducted at the API premises;
- Prepare Annual Papers for the meeting of Food Supplies Committee of Defence Planning;
- API being the Member of the Price and Grades Revision Committee of the Pakistan Tobacco Board, Peshawar provided regular inputs;
- Attend regular sessions of the Senate and National Assembly for coverage of agriculture related items;
- Prepare the Replies to the Senate/National Assembly Questions regarding food security, hike in input prices and emerging policy issues in the agriculture sector;
- Assistance to the Ministry on analysis of emerging policy issues like food crisis in respect of Food Security in the country;
- Prepare technical input as Briefs/Comments on various issues/studies/papers/letters, etc;
- Regularly attend the weekly meetings of the National Price Monitoring Committee of the Ministry of Finance, Islamabad;
- Prepare papers on MFN strategy, SAFTA, Sensitive List referred from the Ministry of Commerce, Islamabad 2011;
- Analyze the Indian Subsidies in Agriculture Sector on Fertilizer, Electric power, Irrigation water and Food subsidy;
- Internship programme for BS students from the University of Agriculture Faisalabad and University of Arid Agriculture, Rawalpindi;
- Analysis of current wheat situation in view of international price hike, domestic stocks and export prospects 2012;
- Analysis for the Purchase of wheat as Federal Strategic Reserve and current wheat situation 2008;
- Study on Financial Implications of wheat procurement by the government and ways of its disposal 2009;
- Assisted the MINFA in Monitoring and Evaluation of rice paddy procurement by PASSCO 2009;
- Developed Methodology of Agriculture Credit Requirements to the Committee comprising of the State Bank of Pakistan, MINFA, Planning Commission and Provinces 2009;
- Analysed the economic viability of various options for disposal of surplus wheat in government stocks 2010;
- Report on Analysis of Crop Damage Estimate by Flood 2010;
- Prepared summary on Assistance for Rabi Crops in the Flood Affected Areas for ECC of the Cabinet;
- Draft summary for the ECC of the Cabinet on availability and pricing of pulses in the country;
- Assisted the MINFA on a summary for the ECC on strategy for regular supply and rational support price policy for major and minor crops;
- Prepared draft material for the 10th five years Plan Target 2011-15 for the crop sector;
- Commented on revised WTO Drafts on Agriculture Modalities and Trade Policy of Pakistan-2008;
- Worked as Member in the Sub-committee of Task Force on Food Security 2008;
- Worked as Member of Committee on payment of sugarcane on the basis of sucrose recovery and installation of core sampler at sugar mills;
- Competitiveness of Agriculture Commodities; wheat, rice, cotton, sugarcane, tobacco and onions for a workshop on WTO 2008;
- A comprehensive presentation on the proposals for Food Assistance programme for targeted population to the Advisory Committee of Planning Commission 2009;
- Scoping Study on National Agriculture Market Information System in order to implement the Decision of the National Price Monitoring Committee of the M/o Finance regarding the Establishment of Agriculture Market Information Sharing Network in Pakistan 2012.
- Prepared a brief paper on Climate Change and its impact on Agriculture and related issues 2010;
- Climate Change Impacts and Adaptation in Agriculture: Improving Land and Water Management for Food Security in Pakistan – A project document prepared by the API 2012.
- Methodology for Estimation of cost of production and Price Mechanism for wheat, rice and sugarcane: Action on the Decision taken in the Meeting of the Senate Standing Committee on Food Security and Research held on 31-07-2012.
- A study on the Prospects for Agriculture Cooperatives in Pakistan: Action on the Decision taken in the Meeting of the Senate Standing Committee on Food Security and Research held on 10-10-2012.
PUBLICATIONS/ RESEARCH WORK
- Pakistan Journal of Agriculture Economics Vol. 6 (Annual) 2008, Agriculture Policy Institute, Islamabad;
- Pakistan Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 7, May 2011, Agriculture Policy Institute, Islamabad;
- Pakistan Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 8, October 2011, Agriculture Policy Institute, Islamabad;
- Pakistan Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol.9, December 2011, Agriculture Policy Institute, Islamabad;
- Pakistan Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol.10, Jan-March 2012, Agriculture Policy Institute, Islamabad;
- Pakistan Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol.11, April-June 2012, Agriculture Policy Institute, Islamabad;
- Pakistan Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol.12, Jul-Sep 2012, Agriculture Policy Institute, Islamabad;
- Pakistan Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol.13, Oct-Dec 2012 Agriculture Policy Institute, Islamabad;
- Drafted the National Food Security Policy for the Ministry of NFS&R, Islamabad 2012;
- Drafted Agriculture Policy of Pakistan for the MINFA, 2009, Agriculture Policy Institute, Islamabad;
- Prepared the Country Report on World Food Summit-Plan of Action for FAO Rome, 2008;